School History

 

Velma G. Chambers

VELMA GLASS CHAMBERS

1894-1976

 

Velma G. Chambers was born March 16, 1894 in Hunt County, Texas. Farming in those days was a family project and each member was expected to perform their share of the work, which included laboring in the fields for both the boys and the girls.

For her attending school was a privilege and a great opportunity to learn. In 1911, she graduated as valedictorian of her class from Emory High School in Rains County, Texas, and shortly thereafter took the State Board Examination to qualify for a teaching certificate. For the following 37 years, she taught in rural communities. In 1949, she received her B.S. degree from the University of Houston and in 1954 her M.Ed. from the same institution. 

She started teaching in Alief in 1949. She taught first and second grade for fifteen years before acting as a principal for two years. As the Alief community grew, the desire for a better school system became an issue. In 1954, Mrs. Chambers became superintendent and change came to be the order of the day. Administration, however, did not provide the satisfaction that teaching did for Mrs. Chambers, and she resigned as superintendent after serving two years. From 1956 until she retired in 1966, she taught first and second grade.

 

Velma Glass Chambers Elementary School opened on August 23, 1971, with just under 700 students enrolled in kindergarten through grade six and special education. At this time, the school was comprised of the following personnel: 31 instructional employees, 10 special services employees (PE, science, resource center, music, band, speech, counselor, and nurse), 2 clerical, 4 custodial, and 5 food service staff members. The cost of the building was around $1,000,000.

Chambers Elementary school currently serves about the same number of students enrolled in PK through grade four and special education, and has 100 staff members divided as follows: 33 homeroom teachers & specialists, 56 support staff, 1 CIS, 5 custodial, and 5 café.