Who We Are
Communities In Schools (CIS) has been a valued part of Houston's schools for over 30 years and is well known among the city's teachers and principals as a program that makes a difference. One reason that we have a reputation for success is that we offer students and their families services that meet real needs and provide rel opportunities.
CIS is a non-profit organization that has served students in the Houston area since 1979. Working alongside the Aldine, Alief, Houston, and Spring Branch school districts, CIS is able to touch the lives of 30,000 students and their families. We offer our students and their families services that meet real needs and provide real opportunities.
What We Do
- Makes referrals to social services providers to help meet the individual needs for students and families
- Helps families with rent, utilities, food, clothing, school supplies, vision, medical, furniture, homeless placement, etc.
- Provides mentoring
- Gives a child an encouraging word and supportive groups
- recreational and extracurricular activities that enrich students' lives
- Supportive Guidance and Counseling
- Health and Human Services
- Educational Enrichment
- Parental and Family Involvement
- Cultural Enrichment