Alief Virtual Academy (AVA) Grades K – 6 Coming Soon to Alief ISD in October 2021
Welcome to the Alief Virtual Academy (AVA) Grades K-6 virtual learning webpage. Alief ISD is pleased to announce that we are starting a pilot virtual school beginning on October 11, 2021, for a select group of students in grades K – 6.
Applications will be accepted beginning September 27, 2021, and the application window will close on September 30, 2021, at 5:00 p.m. Enrollment space will be limited. Applications will be scored on a rubric and seats awarded to students based on their application score. Students who meet the state requirements for virtual school will be given first priority.
Those requirements for students who were virtual for more than 50% of the school year last year include:
- Earned a C or better in all core classes last year (Math, Language Arts, Social Studies, and Science)
- Passed all state assessment tests (STAAR) if enrolled in a grade level that had a STAAR test in 2020-2021. If the student did not participate in STAAR last year, passed a Beginning of the Year Assessment showing the student is on grade level.
- Good attendance last year (Less than 10% unexcused absences)
Students who do not meet the TEA requirements above, but who however have a documented medical condition(s) that places them at high risk for potential COVID complications will also be considered for a limited number of seats. A student’s health care provider should complete and sign the Texas Education Agency Medical Certification for COVID-19 High-Risk Exemption form.
AVA Grades K-6 General Eligibility Criteria
- Required: A student must have a parent or non-school age guardian at home with them during the school day to help facilitate the required academic program to be eligible for consideration.
- Required: Parent / Guardians must complete the application and apply to Alief Virtual Academy grades K-6 within the stated application window and deadline.
- Recommended: Student demonstrated academic success in a virtual setting during the 2020-2021 School Year.
- Recommended: Student demonstrated an attendance rate of 90% or higher during the 2020-2021 School Year.
- Recommended: Student did not incur discipline (behavioral) issues that may be a deterrent for future online academic and behavior success.
- Application Date Opens: September 27, 2021, at 8:00 a.m.
- Application Deadline: October 1, 2021, at 5:00 p.m.
- Course offerings will be limited to core content, Art, Music, and Physical Education.
- Students will not be able to attend clubs or organizations on their home campus. However, the District may instead post asynchronous activities online that address Whole Child health and wellbeing.
- Students receiving services for gifted and talented (GT) or English-learning (ESL) through virtual instruction may have modified programming and/or class sizes.
- For students receiving Special Education services or who are served under a Section 504 plan, acceptance into the virtual program is not finalized until an Admission, Review, or Dismissal (ARD) committee or Section 504 meeting is held and the committee has made the determination that the Virtual Learning Program is appropriate.
- Failure to maintain good attendance will be reason for dismissal from the program.
- Students will be required to take all state and district required assessments. State assessments will follow guidelines from the TEA which will include testing in person at a test site.