THE CHOIR PROGRAM AT MILLER INTERMEDIATE SCHOOL
- 5th Grade Honor Choir:
Note: 5th Honor Choir lasts the entire school year. There are no other electives with Honor Choir, because it is one of the performing groups in the Choir program.
- Miller 5th Grade Honor Choir is a beginning level choir designed to introduce basic vocal and music skills for choral singing.
- Singers will be introduced to the beginning stages of vocal development through the study of breath management and promotion of good intonation.
- The Honor Choir experience encourages choristers’ ability to work together as an ensemble, and fosters poise and confidence.
- 6TH Grade Honor Choir:
Note: 6th Honor Choir lasts the entire school year. There are no other electives with Honor Choir, because it is one of the performing groups in the Choir program.
- Miller 6th Grade Honor Choir is an advanced level choir designed to
continue the development of the vocal and musical skills learned.
- Singers will also develop healthy vocal production through the study of proper breathing technique and singing with open space and relaxed tone.
- Significant time is also spent in studying vowel shapes, basic music theory, solfege as a means to improve sight-reading skills through Kodaly, Orff Schulwerk, Dalcroze Eurhythmic techniques, and various rhythmic exercises and ensemble technique.
- Orff Ensemble:
Note: The Orff instruments (an extension of voice), includes glockenspiels (lyric sopranos), sopranos, altos, baritones and basses.
In Orff practice, students will explore the same basic music skills as the honor choirs and Choir classes, with the instruments added for movement.
Note: Students will be selected from 5th & 6th Grade classes to perform in the Orff Ensemble. The Orff Ensemble is also one of the performing groups in the Choir Program.
- Music reading is introduced with the help of solfege, Kodaly, Orff Schulwerk, and Dalcroze Eurhythmic techniques, various rhythmic exercises, and ensemble technique.
- Students will learn proper mallet technique, and the technique of sing, say, read and play (while learning repertoire).