The Alief ISD school counselor will partner with the school and community in providing resources that encourage and maximize student success in a caring and safe environment.
Therefore, the role of the Alief ISD professional school counselor is to serve as the students' advocate.
Hello, I am Dr. Crecenra Boyd, school counselor at Douglas Smith Elementary School. Smith Elementary has a comprehensive school counseling program which provides classroom guidance lessons, individual counseling, and small group counseling. I am also available for parent conferences and can assist families with community resources and referrals.
Throughout the school year I am here as a support for you and your student. During this time I teach special lessons which focus on academic performance, career awareness, and social/emotional issues.
How school counselors make a difference for elementary school students:
Your student is supported by a team of caring adults--you, of course, plus teachers, administrators, and their counselor-- working together to support your student's academic achievement and person development. Counselors contribute to your child's academic success by:
- teaching skills in leadership, test-taking, decision-making, effective communication, personal safety and protection, and positive peer relationships
- supporting students during times of crisis
- guiding students in improving academic skills, setting positive goals, exercising self-responsibility, and expanding career awareness.
- coordination referrals and community resources for students and families, as needed.
When should you call a school counselor?
- When family changes interfere with academic progress
- When your child needs extra help adjusting to school
- When you need help finding available community resources and agencies for your student or family