About STEM in Alief ISD
Alief ISD “provides a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) education where students learn to apply academic content by creatively solving real-world problems with innovative, design-based thinking, to prepare students for future career opportunities."
- Adapted from TEA STEM
About STEM at Olle Middle School
Features of Olle's STEM Academy:
Here are some examples of Project-Based Learning (PBL) we have done:
- Life PBL - Living life as an adult by looking if you're in the low, middle, or high class in jobs and then picking a house and car in the Houston area. The class you're in defines how big your family is. You also have to create a budget for everyday necessities.
- Body Part PBL - This PBL was explaining a specific body part that is given in a creative manner.
- Popcorn Container PBL - Creating a container to hold a specific amount of popcorn.
- Biome PBL - This PBL was crossed from science to English by creating the biome and then explaining it.
- Field Trips - Field trips mainly take place on the weekends since we don’t want to take time away from our learning during the school days, and they are very fun and learning at the same time.
Eligibility: Incoming 6th grade Klentzman students who meet academic requirements.
Not enrolled in Alief ISD but interested in the STEM Academy? Apply today!