The Seasonal Ingredient
Surprising Spinach Secrets
Popeye wasn’t wrong in making sure that he got his share of daily spinach. Spinach is one of the most nutritious foods on earth. Here are some surprising secrets about spinach.
Surprising Spinach Secrets:
- March 26th is National Spinach Day.
- The U.S. is only the world’s second largest producer of spinach, producing a mere 3% of global production. China is the world’s largest spinach producer with 85% of global production.
- Cooking spinach actually increases its health benefits! Just half a cup of cooked spinach will give you thrice as much nutrition as one cup of raw spinach. That’s because the body cannot completely break down the nutrients in raw spinach for its use.
- Spinach eases constipation and protects the mucus lining of the stomach so that you stay free of ulcers. It also flushes out toxins from the colon.
- Regular consumption of fresh, organic spinach juice has been shown to improve skin health dramatically.
- If you’re trying to lose weight, a serving of spinach with your meal may help you to feel full before you’re tempted to tuck into the bread basket or a sugary dessert!
Magic Crust Quiche
A Recipe to Make with the Kids!
This main dish is magically delicious. Use fresh or frozen spinach for this fun recipe.
Ingredients (Makes 6 servings)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup onion (chopped)
2 cups spinach (can use frozen or fresh)
1 cup cheddar cheese, low-fat (shredded)
1 1/2 cups milk, 1%
3/4 cup baking mix (like Bisquick)
Cook onion in oil (or cook with vegetables). Cook vegetables (or use leftovers). Drain well. Grease round pie pan or 8 x 8 inch baking dish. Spread cooked vegetables in pan. Spread cheese on top of vegetables. Mix milk, eggs and baking mix. Pour over vegetables and cheese. Bake at 350 degrees F for 35 minutes, until a safe internal temperature has been reached and a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean. Enjoy!