Supporting My AVID Student
Ways to help your student at home:
Showing Interest in His/Her Progress
- Talk to your student about school.
- Be aware of your student's classes and his/her performance in each. Praise your student's strengths, and help him/her find ways to improve in areas of weakness.
- Ask to look at your student's binder.
- Review and sign your student's planner to see what kinds of work/homework and behavior is happening at school.
- Find out who your student's friends are.
- Be enthusiastic and supportive.
Encouraging Good Study Habits
- Provide a quiet place free of noise and distractions where your student can study and do his/her homework.
- Show that you care by asking your student what topic(s) he/she is studying in a particular class.
- Be positive and give praise when your student takes notes.
- Be an audience for your student-listen as he/she recites or shares what he/she is reading.
- Ask questions to help your student clarify or think more deeply about what he/she is reading.
- Volunteer to help your student prepare for tests by asking the questions he/she has written from lecture or textbook notes.