About the COMET Program
COMET, which stands for Community Outreach Missions Education Team, is a free after school program in specific sites for eligible Alief ISD elementary students.
COMET is a collaborative partnership between the Alief Independent School District and area organizations, such as:
- 5Works, Inc.
- Heads Up Houston
- Alief faith-based organizations
- Multi-family dwellings in the Alief community (apartment communities)
The COMET partnership focuses on academic improvement, character development and healthy living for Alief ISD students, parents and families. Together, we provide a safe and enriching after school environment for students.
What Makes COMET a Successful Program?
Alief ISD’s COMET students outperform their peers in a variety of ways:
- COMET students have a higher attendance rate.
- They have fewer behavioral issues at school.
- COMET students often see improved test scores and report card grades after participating in the program.
The COMET Program benefits participating elementary students as well as the student's parents, the apartment communities and Alief ISD high school students.
- Enrichment courses are provided by district-trained, approved volunteers.
- Academic enrichment activities and homework assistance are provided by approved and trained volunteers and 5Works employees.
- Parents with students in COMET receive free classes just like their children.
- Schools with COMET Programs experience increased family engagement.
- Apartment owners and managers see a lower occupant turnover rate. COMET parents are less mobile than their non-COMET neighbors, which means COMET students have a stable environment to thrive in, whether it is inside or outside of the classroom.
- Alief ISD high school students who volunteer for this program have a chance to win a scholarship for the post-secondary institution of their choice and to receive graduation cords.
Participating Apartment Sites & Schools
- Boone Elementary School - Catalina Apartments
- Horn Elementary School - Premier on Woodfair Apartments
- Smith Elementary School - Catalina Apartments
- Collins Elementary School
- Hearne Elementary School
- Landis Elementary School
High School Volunteer Sponsors
- Alief Early College High School - Jacob Lazarou
- Elsik High School - Erin Newman
- Hastings High School - Lydia Lund
- Kerr High School - Jacob Lazarou
- Alief Taylor High School - Andrea Lotsu
Interested in volunteering for the COMET Program? Contact your school's sponsor.