STANDARDS FOR DRESS AND GROOMING
Every elementary, intermediate and middle school has a specific standard mode of dress for that campus developed through parent surveys and recommendations from the Shared Decision Making Council. The standard mode of dress for each school has been distributed to the students and is printed in various publications to parents/guardians, including on the campus websites. Additional copies are also available in the school office. Should you need assistance with standard mode of dress, speak with a campus-level administrator.
Alief ISD takes pride in the appearance of our students. The district’s dress code is established to promote grooming and hygiene, to prevent disruption, and to minimize safety hazards. All students shall wear clothing that is neat, modest, and complies with the Alief ISD standards for dress and grooming as these are contributing factors to a positive learning environment.
Students who violate the school’s dress code will be afforded an opportunity to correct the problem at school. Repeated offenses of dress code violations may result in disciplinary actions or consequences in accordance with the Student Code of Conduct.
• Clothing for school must be appropriate for school activities.
• Appropriate underclothing must be worn at all times. Exposure of undergarments is unacceptable.
• See-through tops, plunging necklines, tops exposing the midriff, tank tops, and halter tops are not to be worn.
• Too loose clothing or attire too tight for walking, sitting, bending, or reaching is unacceptable to wear to school.
• Oversized clothing, sagging pants, and exposure of undergarments are not permitted.
• Form-fitting shorts or pants of Lycra or spandex and biker shorts or pants are not permitted.
• Slashed or ripped clothing must not expose inappropriate anatomy.
• Clothing, hairstyles, cosmetic modifications or other items with designs or words referring to alcoholic beverages, drugs, tobacco, violence, death, gangs, Satanism, racism, profanity, nudity, or obscenity must not be worn or displayed on campus or at school- related activities.
• Hats, caps, and hoods must not be worn in buildings.
• Bandanas are prohibited.
• Hemlines of shorts, skirts, and dresses must not be distracting to the instructional environment.
• Shoes must be worn and shall not present a health problem or hazard for the student or others. House shoes/slippers are not
• Hair should be clean, well groomed, out of the eyes and worn in moderation.
• Facial hair, including mustaches, must be neatly trimmed.
• Students who wear earrings must avoid those which present a safety hazard or distraction to the learning environment, Gauges/ear stretchers, symbols (reflecting gang affiliation, drugs, alcohol, satanic ideologies, etc.) and chains are not permitted.
• Students in discipline alternative education programs have more restrictive requirements than while at the district’s regular campuses. The wearing of earrings or facial hair is prohibited while students are attending an alternative school.
Alief ISD 2021-2022 Student Handbook (page 23)
IDENTIFICATION BADGES (Intermediate, Middle, and High Schools)
Students are required to wear IDs around the neck or clipped to the upper part of the body at all times. Legal name must be used for identification for the safety and security of everyone. Failure to properly display ID or use of another’s ID will result in disciplinary actions. These IDs will be required for admission to school activities and must be shown or surrendered upon request. Student IDs are the property of each campus. Any identification card that is lost, defaced, or broken must be replaced immediately at the student’s expense.